subscribe

To subscribe, enter your email address

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Writer's Conference in Albuquerque, 2012

   Just returned from our Albuquerque Adventure in New Mexico Tuesday evening, Oct. 23.   The Women Writing the West (WWW) Writer's Conference was held in a huge hotel Oct. 19 to 21.   Because there were several conferences going on in tandem at this hotel, we had a room down the street in the Rio Grande Best Western.  Both were within walking distance of "Old Town," the origin of Albuquerque 200 years ago.
(Population today is half a million.)  On two different days we roamed the streets of Old Town, contributing to the economy of this historic real estate.  I think the highlight here was an outdoor cafe with a daily special of homemade apple dumplings and ice cream.  We enjoyed the sunshine (70's every day) and the company of a pigeon which bobbed and tootled around the tables like he was on a mission. 
   The last WC I attended was about 30 yrs. ago in Rochester with such "promising" author/speakers as Jon Hassler, and Judith Guest.  My 2012 WWW Conference was brightened by the location, the smart women, the friendly connections and the information I gleaned in pursuit of publication.  Electronics, economics and ebooks are definitely driving the Industry today.  One publisher wants me to send her my novel, but I have reservations after "vetting" her requirements which tend toward shorter, G-rated books. 
  The Calling Stone has some graphic history and a love story that would rattle any G rating. Not erotica, but maybe a few pulse-pounders that could be compared to some of my current favorite author's fictional love scenes.  If you love historicals-which I learned were "on the rise"-- you might like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books. SHE writes very dense, very long books--1000 pages average.  I was told my book was too long-- maybe 2 books--though I am not at 1000 pages.  Lots to consider!?  Glad to be home again in a cooler, wetter climate that gives me no regrets for staying inside to read and write! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time.
    These conferences are really valuable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting,
CJ